Thursday, November 1, 2012

First Lines: October 2012

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in October.

 Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch
"Glenn followed the hum of machinery out to the edge of the forest."


"August 25, 1991.  Dear Friend, I'm writing to you because she said that you listen and understand and didn't try to sleep with that person at that party, even though you could have."


Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
"I think I killed a girl who looked like this once."


Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia
"There were only two kinds of people in our town; the stupid and the stuck."



Ghost of Graylock by Dan Poblocki
"Every town has its share of secrets."


 Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
"Imagine this: You're in your favorite bookstore, scanning the shelves."


 Beautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kirsten Cronn-Mills
"If radio is the medium of the ugly person, then I can live my life as a voice, and the world will be perfect."


 Beta by Rachel Cohn
"It's me she wants to purchase."


 Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
"Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amelie and Moulin Rouge."


Undead by Kirsty McKay
"I would rather die than face them all again."

My favorite first line this month was from Girl of Nightmares.  I love how it speaks to the tone for this series.  

My least favorite line was from the Ghost of Graylock.  While I liked this book, that particular line was a little cliche and overdone. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment