Monday, December 31, 2012

First Lines: December 2012

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in December. 

 Teeth by Hanna Moskowitz
"At night the ocean is so loud and so close that I lie awake, sure it's going to beat against the house's supports until we all crumble onto the rocks and break into pieces."


The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington
"Colby had a secret"


Looking for Alaska by John Green
"The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party."


The Diviners by Libba Bray
"In a town house at a fashionable address on Manhattan's Upper East Side, every lamp blazes."


Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
"The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest, and because they haunted the Duke's house like giggling phantoms, darting in and out of rooms, hiding in cupboards to evesedrop, sneaking into the kitchen to steal the last of the summer peaches."


Wonder by R.J. Palacio
"I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid."


Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
"Edgar opened one eye to a slit."

Sort of slim pickings this month.  There weren't any first lines that grabbed me but I guess if I had to pick a favorite it would be from Teeth:

"At night the ocean is so loud and so close that I lie awake, sure it's going to beat against the house's supports until we all crumble onto the rocks and break into pieces."

My least favorite is definitely from The Dead and Buried:
"Colby had a secret"

It wasn't the least bit interesting or unique.
Here's hoping 2013 will be filled with great first lines!

0 comments:

Post a Comment