Monday, September 16, 2013

ARC Book Review: Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen

Title: Mrs. Poe
Author: Lynn Cullen
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: October 1st, 2013
Rating: 1/5

Cover Impressions: 
Kinda boring background, but I enjoy the font

Review:


I quit 70 pages in. I could not, for the life of me, find anything the least bit interesting about the main character. She is whiney and self absorbed, complaining about her situation and waiting for a man to swoop in and save her.

I became more and more frustrated by her constant struggle with her writing. Clearly, she had seen success in children's stories but was trying to write something more prolific that would pay more. I am not one to bash artistic endeavors, but perhaps in attempting to put a roof over the heads of your children you might deem to lower yourself to write something THAT ACTUALLY SELLS! She spends countless pages moaning about her monetary situation but decides to spend her time attending frivolous parties and walking the streets of New York rather than actually writing anything.

I was also bored and appalled at the characterization of Poe and his wife. They were simplistic characters with little color and nothing to hold one's interest.

With a plot that crawls and characters that make my skin do likewise - I quit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment