Sunday, September 1, 2013

First Lines: August 2013

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in August.

 Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
"Sophronia intended to pull the dumbwaiter up from the kitchen to outside the front parlor on the ground floor, where Mrs. Barnaclegoose was taking tea."

Just the names in this one have me rolling my eyes..... 

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
"There was a boy in her room."


The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
"Theoretically, Blue Sargent was probably going to kill one of these boys."


"In her apartment high above the streets of Paris, Gabrielle Roux stood in front of the bathroom mirror, still wearing her daringly short purple dress and platform heels."


Freakboy by Kristin Elizabeth Clark
"A pronoun is a ghost 
of who you really are
short
sharp
harsh
whispering its presence, 
taunting your soul
in you
of you
but not
all you."

Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
"The crook of my arm locked over the man's throat, tightening as his boots' rubber soles batted against the ground."

Oh Never Fade, I really wanted it to be you this month.  And don't get me wrong, your first line is pretty decent as first lines go, but I have to give ultimate props to Freakboy.  I loved the word choice here and the way the line flowed.  It was a first line that I kept wanting to read over and over again.  

My least favorite first line this month was from Etiquette & Espionage.  I just couldn't get past the silliness of the names to take anything else on that first page seriously.


1 comments:

Emily said...

This is so cool! Is it okay if I start doing this too?

Post a Comment