Friday, March 28, 2014

ARC Book Review: A World Without Princes by Soman Chainani




Title: A World Without Princes
Author: Soman Chainani
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: April 15, 2014
Rating: 4/5

Cover Impressions: 
I love, love, love the cover art for this series.  The expression of distrust and wariness on the girls' faces is perfect and the colors are just stunning.  There is so much detail that I keep picking up on things that I never noticed the first time around.  Anyone know who the artist is?

Review:

Sophie and Agatha are back at home, but things have not ended so happily ever after.  Sophie is fighting to stay the centre of attention as her father plans to re-marry and Agatha is secretly dreaming of the price that she left behind.  When she secretly wishes for a new ending, Agatha re-opens their story and re-writes the rules of their fairy tale world.  Back at the School for Good and Evil, girls are fighting against boys and no one is getting a happy ending.  Agatha and Sophie must steal the Storian and finish their story once and for all, but how can they work together when they don't really want the same things?

I really love the premise behind this series.  Fairy tales are even more fun when they are turned on their ear and Chainani does an excellent job of re-writing the rules for a new generation.  I was so dismayed to see what had happened to the school, standing on the brink of war between the genders and so thrilled to see that the Three Witches were the only ones not taken in by the new roles.  Still, I NEED MORE WITCHES, Hester, Anadil, and Dot were my favorite part of the first book and, though they play an important role in this one, there is still just not enough.  Can I get a side story or novella that just features them??  I am also a big fan of how the evil in this story did not take on the traditional form and came from a more unexpected place.
The story itself was fast paced and fun.  It was frustrating to see Sophie and Agatha mistrust each other so much but it added some great conflict that had nothing to do with the traditional love triangle and everything to do with their own relationship.  Though there was an aspect of romance, the story did not get bogged down with this story and instead explored the friendship between the girls and their own struggle with good and evil.  The character did fall a little flat for me this time around.  I found Agatha's suspicion of Sophie without proof more than a little annoying and her desire for a boy that wanted to murder her best friend, more than a little unbelievable.  How can Sophie show that she is loyal if you never give her a chance?
trust animated GIFShe seemed like such an intelligent character the first time around and I am not sure where that girl went.  The one thing that I appreciated much more in this book was getting some backstory on the girls' parents and the issues surrounding their town.  There were some unanswered questions about Sophie's parents' relationship and I am hoping the answer will be found in the third book, shedding some light on why Sophie is the way that she is.

This novel also featured some amazing illustrations.  I love middle grade novels that have illustrations.  It adds so much to the book to see how someone else is picturing a particular character or scene and I got a little thrill every time that I came across one. 

I have to say, there was one aspect that threw me off a little.  It almost seemed like the plot being centered around Sophie and Agatha's "mistake" and the dangerous circumstances that result was a criticism of women who don't "need" men.  There seemed to be a lot of pressure for Agatha to make the "right" choice - which just happened to be reuniting with her prince (a man and attempted murderer). 
funny animated GIF
The only people who seemed genuinely happy in the girls being one another's soulmate, were being hoodwinked by the BadGuy.  I found this theme very distracting as I kept wondering where exactly the author was going with this.  I certainly didn't see this in the first book, and am very much hoping that it will be resolved in the third.

The book ends on a bit of a cliff hanger, ensuring that I will be back for the third installment, even if it is just to see what secrets will be revealed about Sophie's parents and the fate of the School for Good and Evil.  

Teaching/Parental Notes:

Age:
10 and up
Gender: Both
Sex: Kissing
Violence: Swordplay
Inappropriate Language: Ass
Substance Use/Abuse: None

0 comments:

Post a Comment