Thursday, October 15, 2015

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon: The Plan


I am going to attempt Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon for the first time.  If you don't know about it, this is a twice annual event where participants pledge to do their best to read for 24 hours.  There is an online communal component with cheerleaders, games and prizes.

THE CHALLENGES:

1) I have children.
2) The Husband is on the other side of the world right now
3) Due to the combination of #1 and 2, I tend to fall comatose at about 10pm each night

THE PLAN:

1) Involve the children.  Or at least the Heir (he's 4 now).  On Saturday morning, I'm going to take him book "shopping" on the bookshelf where I keep the special children's books (which is basically anything that I don't want him to tear to shreds) and have him pick out some books that we can read together.  Also, I always read a book to the Spare before bed, but I am going to add in a book before each nap as well.

2) Ignore the children.  As I mentioned, the Spare still takes two naps during the day.  That gives me a considerable chunk of time in which I can read uninterrupted, that is, if it wasn't for the Heir.  Since I realize his "reading" time will mostly be me reading to him, in order to get any reading time to myself I am going to have to take drastic measures.  That means unlimited tablet time (gasp!) and so much kids Netflix that I will be singing the Rescue Bots theme song in my sleep.

3) Quit when I have to.  I honestly don't know how I'm going to pull off the late night portion of this event.  I figure I can probably make it to 11 or 12, but by then I'm going to have to give up in order to prepare for the Spare's 6am wakeup time.  BUT because of the time change here, that means I will still have around 3 hours until the end of the challenge! So I'm going to try and squeeze in some last minute, early morning, reading time to end off on a strong note.

THE LIST:

I decided to compile a list of possible books for reading and then see how I feel about each choice when the time comes to pick it up.  So far, here is the list I have compiled:



I didn't really want to chose ARCs that I have for review since I like to write my reviews RIGHT AFTER finishing and then I wouldn't be able to just move onto the next book, which sort of ruins the spirit of the readathon.  So I chose books that have been on my TBR list and I just haven't gotten to them yet.


Anyone else participating? Do you have a plan of attack?  Any books I should add to my list?

0 comments:

Post a Comment